Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I've been reading about dogs lately

First I read Hachiko Waits. When I picked up that book from the library, I also picked up 5 other books. One was Kenny and the Dragon. The others were How to Steal a Dog, The Great Wide Sea, The Boy Who Dared, and The Year of the Dog.



A nice story about a young girl who in 4th or 5th grade thinks she needs to "find herself" because it's the year of the dog. Supposedly, the year of the dog means that it's good luck and it helps you find out what you're good at.

This story helps a Tawaiian-American girl figure out who she is. It goes through a year of her life, and her experiences in school and at home. It was another Bluestem book nominee. I think a lot of girls will like this book and can understand and connect with the things that happen.

Like the last 3 books I've read, I didn't want to put it down. It's a fast read, you learn a lot about her family and the stories that have been told through the generations of things that help make this family who they are today.

I think it is always important to expose children to literature that lets them see what it might be like to be in another culture or nationality. This book does that.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment