Friday, July 9, 2010

It's really hard to pick from the 2010 list

I am finding it really hard to pick my favorites from the 2010 books that I read.

I did enjoy Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree. Good story about friends with a hint of drama and dangerous escapades wrapped in.

Something about Georgie had really good lessons about tollerance and acceptance. I might have to add that to my read alouds this year at school.

Shooting the Moon was a pretty fast read and gave some insight to what families in the military experienced during the Vietnam War.

The books that I felt topped my list were White Giraffe, The Motzart Question, and The Home of the Brave.

I enjoyed White Giraffe because the setting was far different than many other books I've read. It took me to Africa. It was just different and not what I expected. My favorite animals are giraffes so I was curious just by the title.

Motzart was just short and really interesting. I recommended it to a 5th grade teacher at our school who does an extensive unit on concentration camps and World War II.

Finally, The Home of the Brave hooked me within the first 50 pages that I had to put the novel down because I needed to start reading it differently. I had to start reading it like a teacher who was writing a novel study. It was that good that I realized that this would be a book I was going to use to teach with. My copy is now marked with notes, questions, and thoughts. Many who I read this to and read it with did enjoy it too. This book, I DEFINITELY recommend!

Select any of these books and you should definitely enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment