Monday, July 26, 2010

The Boy Who Dared



I had no idea what this book was about before I picked it up. I couldn't wait to find out what this boy "dared" to do. It was quite shocking what he really did do, and this novel is based upon a true story.

Helmuth Hubener was a real boy, who did this real thing; he stood up against the Nazi's lies. This boy was courageous, and religious. He wasn't Jewish, therefore he was able to keep practicing his religion. What he believed through and through was amazing. I would be proud to call Helmuth my own son. Given this was during World War II, that his adopted father was a Nazi police officer, and that he secretly listened to the radio he was very daring.

Throughout the whole story, Helmuth is in jail. This novel is told through flashbacks. He tells you briefly about what happens in jail, but the rest of the story is all of his memories of how things led up to him being convicted.

I'm glad the author included some author's notes and pictures because it helps connect the story with the real people this happened to.

Of course I strongly urge you to read this book because it was good, it is historical fiction, and it kept you on the edge of your chair wondering what Helmuth had done that was so horrible that as a teenager he was on death row.

Here is a photo of Helmuth.

No comments:

Post a Comment